Tuesday 21 August 2012

Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview [Electronics]

 Brand Samsung | Model: UE22D5003
List Price £192.00Price
£149.99
You save
GBP 42.01 (21.88%)
Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview [Electronics]

Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview [Electronics]

Feature

  • 22" Full 1080 HD LED Screen
  • Freeview Tuner
  • 2 x HDMI Sockets
  • USB Media Playback Port
  • 350mm x 520mm x 124mm

Product Overview

22" Full 1080 HD LED TV with Freeview, 2 x HDMI & USB Media Playback Port


24 of 24 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars SAMSUNG UE22D003 22'' LED TV, 30 Jan 2012
By 
M. spencer (UK) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)
  
This review is from: Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview [Electronics] (Electronics)
I too ignored the other reviews regarding the sound quality and purchased the tv from another retailer at £156.00. Absolute bargain, or so I thought. I had just taken a LOGIK 22'' set back to you know who due to it having a couple of faults. Bit of a shame really as it was a nice tv for the price of £139.99 including a built in dvd player and timeshift with usb record. It's sound wasn't brilliant but thought for the money it's ok. It was doing my head in though not being able to obtain a sky remote code for the tv so decided my next choice had to be Samsung or LG as their codes are readily available.

After much research I was left with 3 choices. The Samsung D5003, LG 2622 and the Sharp LE510. Seeing the Sharp at £119.99 + VAT made it very desirable and it had USB record and timeshift. I went and viewed both the Sharp and the Samsung in my local store and was heading for the Sharp when I noticed it's remote. It was quite small and hard to see the names on the buttons, unlike the LG and Samsung remotes which are nice and clear. I was unable at that time to find the LG which I could look at and listen to. I also noticed the Sharp remote was identical to a Toshiba and Digihome and then questioned as to who actually made these sets. So a bit more research on here and REVOO and thought a lot more people have given a good review on the Samsung compared to bad reviews and decided to go and buy one. After all it has a good spec with 100hz and being a fairly recent model should be an improvement on earlier types. I was a little concerned with the stand of the tv as it wobbled and looked a bit small in length to support the length of the tv but just thought it maybe hadn't been assembled properly.

Purchased the tv on the Wednesday and was disappointed first at the lack of connections on the tv. No component or AV connections, just scart, RF, 2 x HDMi and headphone. This is different to some websites, including Samsung's own. Switched it on and then spent the next two nights trying to get the picture and sound right. Now the picture is stunning but I found the colours too vibrant on some stations whilst it was perfect on others. The bright purples and bright greens seemed to be exaggerated. Can't fault that really but it just looked like I was watching a cartoon all the time on certain stations. Screen did not seem quite as sharp as the LOGIK but that could just have been the individual settings. This was also my view in the shop too. The TV also seems very bright compared to my living room LG tv which gives a more natural picture. Lots and lots of settings on the Samsung so maybe a bit more tweaking would have got it perfect. Not knocking Samsung here as the quality of the screen is amazing and it was only on freeview. If I was judging the tv on screen quality it is 5 stars.

So onto the sound. As another review said it is diabolical and he's right. It really is terrible and needs external speakers. Now this is a real shame because I believe the only reason Samsung and other manufacturers fitted tiddly 3 watt speakers is that they cannot physically fit anything bigger in there due to us all wanting slimmer screens. This is ridiculous. Just make the case bigger where the speakers need to go or make speakers that work. I have an old Samsung Syncmaster 940 LCD which has the speakers in the front, projecting to the viewer. Far better than projecting down and the tv is only 15mm thicker than the current 22" Samsung LED V's. My wife heard the tv and said immediately that's going back. I played about with it for ages on all of the settings and there are quite a few. The sound was CR*P. like it was coming out of a hollow tube. What a let down. Ok some other reviewers have fitted external speakers which cured the problem and I would have been happy to do that but for the stand. The stand is too small for the tv. It's not long enough/heavy enough to support the tv. Maybe there was something wrong with it. Other sets including Samsung are far better with some bases reinforced with light steel. Mine wobbled like a piece of jelly if you knocked it lightly. Ok if it's going on a wall bracket. Such a let down. I was so disappointed after all of the research. Nobody else has commented on the week stand problem yet I have seen it like this in two different stores now.

Purchased on the Wednesday and it was returned on the Saturday. So so disappointed. Needed to find a store with an LG now lol, or so I thought.

Called in at my local A**A on the way home to see what they had. Some LG LED model that the soft touch buttons on the front wouldn't work properly, a LUXOR similar to the LOGIK I had bought previously and a Samsung LE22D450. Managed to get all the sound working on all 3 and immediately decided the LUXOR had the same speakers as the Samsung I had just returned!! as it sounded like it was performing in a biscuit tin. Didn't want another Samsung as I was thinking it will be... Read more


75 of 77 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 22" LCD LED 1080 TV, 23 Oct 2011
By 
Comical_blues "Kent" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview [Electronics] (Electronics)
I searched internet for a really good 22" lcd tv for my mother in law, who's philips lcd 22" tv stopped working after just one year. I didn't buy it from Amazon as I could get it slightly cheaper elsewhere. As I write this the tv is now the same price on Amazon. So, having read the technical specifications on this tv I decided to buy two at the same time (one for me). I have absolutely no regrets, it is an excellent tv and does everything you need. Also, one of the visual features I really like and was not expecting to have is: If you are reclining whilst watching the tv or the tv is placed higher than your eye level (Example on a chest of drawers like mine), there is a mode to set the viewing angle. What it does is alter the colours to compensate your viewing to sharpen the picture and improve the colours. You need to manually reselect the viewing angle if you need to change it back for watching at eye level. This can be done by one click restore default visual settings or enter the angle mode and turn it off. Really easy to set up. You can opt to either install analogue and digital channels or just digital channels. Tv channels install very quickly and its ready to go in a couple within approximately 5 minutes. Picture and sound quality are really excellent, and it even works well with an indoor HD tv ariel (in East Kent). Tv channel menu system is bright and clear and you can see your current tv program in the top left hand corner, whilst you check what's on other tv channels. I can't find any faults with this tv it is excellent.

PS For indoor hd viewing I purchased a Lloytron active HD indoor ariel 50Db gain. Cost approx £30.00 (Description black box with no telescopic antenna - everthing all built inside, it uses coaxial fitting or usb.


17 of 17 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars It's the SOUND :-(, 4 Jan 2012
By 
J. Davies "Jim" (Scotland) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)
  
This review is from: Samsung UE22D5003 22-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview [Electronics] (Electronics)
Most things I buy I check out reviews on the web and mostly things have been good thanks to the many people here who write great reviews.

I don't think I've ever written a particularly bad review about a product. On looking at this TV it looks nice with the piano black surround and the screeen itself looks OK - pretty average I'd say these days. I've only just got it so not had time to set it up yet but the picture looked.....ok so again pretty average.

BUT the massive let down (which is the same on many small TVs) is the sound - Utter garbage is the way I'd describe it. I have a small samsung LCD in the kitchen and I didn't particularly like the sound from that but this is even worse despite being around 2 or 3 years newer! Just sounds hollow and tinny and that is with me switching on the surround setting and amending the pretty useless equaliser. I'll be looking to see if I can add a pair of speakers to this TV.

I would normally send it back but the hassle isn't worth it and with external speakers it should improve the experience. Will perhaps review again when I've done that (will try my ipod speakers later :) )

Surely TV manufacturers should be looking at this and providing speakers that allow you to enjoy watching the TV?

It's replacing a 17" 1st generation LCD panel from JVC that I bought quite a few years ago that I think is on its last legs.... A shame because I like it better!

I'm sure there must be better TV's at this price on the market..... Don't get this.

EDIT
Ok so adding a little to this review. I was given a cheap pair of Logitech Z130s (cost £10) and they really improve the sound a lot. This is how a TV should sound as a default (not outstanding but perfectly useable). Just a basic pair of speakers but a massive step up in sound quality. If you read any of the comments attached to this review you will see that the Logitech Z-140s are probably a far better purchase and for only £15 these are the speakrs to buy.

I'm going to upgrade the rating to 3* because I do like the TV. Picture is decent, it's quite fast in operation and the menu system is pretty good and simple to use and despite the screen real estate, it's much slimmer than most televisions.

However I do still have the massive gripe that I have to buy speakers to make this ound ok. I think manufacturers should at least make you aware of the sound being substandard on small TV's (instead of advertising it with "SRS TheaterSound HD" which makes it sound great - but is instead rediculous).

I do like the TV that apart.

PS Thanks to Bertie for his help :)

What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?

  • Cantilever LCD Monitor TV Arm Bracket Wall Mount with Swivel and Tilt
  • Samsung LE32D403 32-inch HD Ready 50Hz CMR LCD TV (New for 2012)
  • Samsung UE19D4003 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012)
  • Samsung UE32EH5000 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012)
  • LCD201 17" 19" 22" 24" 26" LED/LCD TV Wall Bracket Tilt, Swivel, 360° Rotate VESA 100 75

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer : Product prices and availability were accurate at the time this page was generated but are subject to change.
Disclosure : The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fee by advertising and linking Porch Swings to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, amazon.de, amazon.fr, amazon.es, amazon.co.uk, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.